Saturday, June 25, 2011

What I'll Miss

There are many things I will miss about New England--it will be especially hard to leave behind my good friends and community.  I'll also miss, in no particular order, summer fireflies, living within two hours of the ocean, the stream that runs across the back of my property, a wonderful 12-grain bread from a local bakery, watching winter blizzards roar through, the warmth of a blazing fire in the woodstove, the amazing diversity of artists in the Pioneer Valley, and, of course, the glorious fall foliage.

Springtime in MA, with the bulbs just beginning to show.
I'll also miss my cozy little house with all of its good memories--the gardens which (for this non-gardener)  were a never-ending, ongoing work-in-progress, the diversity of wildlife (bobcats, coyotes, deer, and a wide variety of birds), sitting on the deck and watching the sunset or waving at the folks in a hot air balloon floating over at tree-top height, skiing out the back door to one of the trails, skating on the pond next door--many, many fond memories.

A portion of the front flower beds, summer of 2010.

 
A view off the deck in early spring, showing Plum Brook at the rear of the property.